18 July 2008

Thank you for smoking

Friday, 18 July 2008
7h38

I am now having a morning smoke at a café in Tokyo station as I wait for my train to Nikko. Now, I’m sure that if you know me, you’d be surprised I wrote that given how much I’ve hated cigarette smoke my entire life. Well, perhaps you’ll be even more surprised if I told you that this otherwise unthinkable event is taking place in the non-section area of the café, especially after I’ve written about Japanese infatuation with rules.

But before you spass me out, let me clarify things: the smoke is coming from the smoking section, which starts basically at the table next to me. The Japs are funny this way, they set ridiculous rules like this and for no reason would I be allowed to smoke where I’m sitting even though my smoking would only imply that the non-smoking section starts one table further.

Everybody smokes in Japan. For a country that seems to obsessed about its health and well-being, this is really surprising. Their diets are so well-balanced and includes so much fish and vegetables – but perhaps that’s only attributable to the country’s vast coastline and centuries-long habits, right? Well, yes, but they also always protect their skin from the sun… they even wear arm-length gloves when they drive even if it’s steaming hot outside. They walk around with these hospital masks to cover their mouths when they are sick to avoid infecting other people and to protect themselves from air pollution. They all eat a healthy and plentiful breakfast to start the day strong, and they seem to be all fit. So, why do they smoke?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home